Monetta Party



The Moneta Party happened on Instagram in February. I wasn’t going to join in because I’d not planned anything and I wasn’t in a rush to make the pattern. That was until I realised that the Sew Down Dewsbury meet up was on the same weekend and a lot of other sewists attending would all be wearing Monetas. So I downloaded the pattern and went in search of emergency jersey.


My local fabric shops are not great at stocking knits so it’s a little hit and miss with what you might find. I got hold of this green t-shirt material with dainty pink roses all over it. It isn’t something I would normally have picked but I didn’t have many other options. It is very nice and soft and drapes well. I keep finding myself wearing the dress and coming across the bolt of fabric in different shops!
I chose to do the peter pan style collar because I didn’t like the idea of just turning the neckline over, and I’d not had any experience with neck bands before (having made my plantains the month after the Moneta). This worked out really well and by some fluke I managed to get the centre of the collar perfectly aligned.
The method for gathering the skirt was much commented on in the Instagram and blogging world. I found it quite interesting and I’d like to try it again sometime. My skirt isn’t very evenly gathered but I think the busy print and casual feel of the dress disguise that somewhat. It will just take a bit more practice next time.

It has pockets! I love a good pocket so that’s a big plus. I’m not sure about where the waist line sits, it cuts right through my belly and exaggerates some tummy rolls sometimes which isn’t always flattering. I think next time I make it I will either raise slightly by about an inch or maybe even further and see what an empire line looks like.

What has surprised me is that even though I wasn’t overly enthusiastic on the pattern or fabric to begin with, I have found that I reach for this dress very often. I like that it’s comfortable like a t-shirt but is a bit prettier than that. I am looking forward to making another, perhaps for the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment